It’s fun, fresh and – best of all – next-level easy. Find this sweet summery pie a spot on your dessert table for a treat that’ll delight all of your guests.
2 sheets ready rolled sweet shortcrust pastry
1 can strawberry pie filling
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon milk
1. Grease a round 30cm pie dish and layer it with one sheet of shortcrust pastry.
2. Cover with foil and bake blind for 20 minutes in a 180ºC oven.
3. Remove the foil and pour the filling into the pie shell.
4. Using a sharp kitchen knife, cut a 3cm strip off the remaining sheet of pastry, then layer the sheet over the filling. Pinch the filling over the edges of the crust to seal the pie. Cut a heart from the pastry sheet off-cut and place it in the centre of the pie for decorative effect. Make four incisions in the top sheet.
5. Beat together the egg yolk and milk. Seal the edges of the pie with a fork and brush with the egg wash.
6. Bake at 180ºC for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Leave in the pie dish to cool, then slice and serve.