You’re not the only one who’s been waiting a lifetime for this day – help your mum dress the part with our best styling tips.
- If she’s struggling to settle on a colour, encourage her to consider matching the bridesmaid dresses, but to select a different shade. She should also talk to the mother of the groom so that their outfits are complementary.
- Accessories can work to her advantage – bright colours can add a pop of colour to an otherwise neutral-hued ensemble, while a bag or shoes in trendy metallic shades amps up the glamour. The secret to keeping the look from becoming too OTT? Sticking to styles that are refined, not flashy.
- A jacket she can remove after the ceremony – or when she’s ready to hit the dance floor – lets her take her look from formal to glam.
- Accentuate her best features with details or accessories that shine – think rhinestones, diamantes or metallics. A jacket or scarf in a shiny fabric will reflect light on her face, and matching the fabric to the colour of her eyes will accentuate their colour.
- Wearing a belt creates an hourglass shape, flattering her curves.
- If she has a big bust she should choose a V-neck, while a ruffled or flared skirt will help to balance her proportions. Matching it with a tailored jacket will draw attention away from her bust.
- If she’s petite, wearing a dress in a single colour can create the illusion of height, while a cropped jacket may help to elongate her frame. Draping and pleated fabrics will emphasise her curves.