Give your guests the gift of love and show your appreciation in the form of these classic delectables.
1 cup self-raising flour
1 cup plain flour
3 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup golden syrup
2 tbsp vanilla essence
50g unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp milk
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 160C. Butter and flour 12 shallow rounded cupcake trays.
2. In a bowl, add flours, spices and baking soda; whisk to combine. Make a well in centre of dry ingredients.
3. In a jug, whisk oil, sugar, eggs, syrup and vanilla.
4. Pour into dry ingredients. Mix with electric beater on low until combined.
5. Spoon batter into prepared cake tins; fill to halfway. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
6. Cool in tin for five minutes; turn out on to wire rack.
7. To make icing, cream butter until pale and fluffy, then mix in vanilla and milk. Add icing sugar and beat until smooth. Halve each cupcake and fill with butter icing.