Following the release of her sumptuous recipe book Bluebells Cakery ($50, Random House) Auckland cake maker Karla Goodwin shares her top tips for creating sumptuous wedding desserts that’ll have everyone coming back for seconds.
1. When catering for a large event, choose a recipe that’s easy to multiply. You might need to prepare several batches at ones, so it’s important your calculations are correct – this will save time and ingredients should anything go wrong. To be extra safe, make it easy for yourself by measuring or weighing out each batch-worth of ingredients at a time – for example, three lots of 1 ¼ cups rather than 3/ ¾ cups.
2. Recipes that can be prepared ahead of time will mean everyone’s stress levels are greatly reduced as the big day gets closer. For example, the Eton Mess recipe on page 144 includes meringues that can be made a week in advance, and a fruit compote that can be made a few weeks in advance.
3. Make shopping easier (and cheaper!) by choosing recipes that use in-season and easily sourced ingredients.
4. To ensure a happy crowd, choose desserts that you know people will enjoy – nothing too complex or out-there. Make sure all guests have something they will enjoy by providing a selection of different options.
5. Stick to what you know works – always opt for tried and true recipes over more adventurous, new alternatives.